Crisis Prevention
The Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a crisis resource that connects you with a skilled, trained counselor to talk to in your area. You can call 1-800-273-8255 or use their website.
The Hopeline’s focus is suicide prevention, awareness and education. They provide help through crisis hotlines, online crisis chat, and a music outreach tour.
7 cups of tea is a way to connect with someone to talk to online. It offers free, anonymous, and confidential conversations with trained active listeners. You can connect with a listener with a click of a button.
The Veterans Crisis Line allows Veterans in crisis, as well as their families and friends, to connect with qualified Department of Veterans Affairs responders through toll-free hotline, online chat, or text.
The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) young people.
Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide – The website is advocacy website for teen suicide and prevention that parents can possibly provide; it also provides outreach information and resources.

Employment Assistance
NC Works is a resource for job seekers and employers in North Carolina. You can search jobs near you, create resumes, and find education and training.
The NC Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services helps people living with disabilities find and employment and live independently.

This website will link you to bed availability in different counties in North Carolina. This availability is for Family Care Homes, Intermediate Care Facilities, Group Homes, and Permanent Supportive Housing.

NAMI National and NAMI North Carolina
The national NAMI website provides education on mental illness, treatment, support and programs, and advocacy. You can also find your local NAMI Affiliates in different states.
NAMI North Carolina offers information on how to join NAMI or renew your current membership. You can also find information on services for individuals living with mental illness, families, children and adolescents and consumers in North Carolina.

Treatment and Recovery Services
Vaya Health provides services for mental health, developmental disabilities, and substance abuse. They serve 23 different counties in North Carolina, including Watauga, Ashe, and Avery.

Call 1-800-849-6127 toll free 24/7 to obtain services and support for mental health, developmental disabilities and substance abuse. Members can request materials in Spanish or English.

Llamar al número gratuito 1-800-849-6127 24/7 para obtener servicios y apoyo a la salud mental, discapacidades de desarrollo y abuso de sustancias. Los miembros pueden solicitar materiales en español o Inglés.
Daymark provides resources and services for individuals seeking treatment of mental illness or substance abuse. Daymark serves 28 counties in North Carolina.
The National Eating Disorders Association helps individuals overcome eating disorders by finding a professional to help. The website provides information on programs and support, education, and ways to get involved.
Teen Depression – A Guide for Parents – Help Guide offers information and resources for several different types of disorders and how parents can use these tools to better help their teens.
ZocDoc Search for Mental Health Service Providers – This website is a search engine to help you find a doctor in your area based on insurance provider, location, and specialist desired.

Substance Abuse Services
Dual Diagnosis is an organization that works with several different types of programs and with many different facilities. They can be contacted by their confidential phone line for more questions or information. 1-877-345-3377
Addiction Prevention: 34 Essential Lesson Plans for Educators – This is a wonderful tool to help educate different grade school ages about addiction and drug abuse. Another way to contact them is 1-800-923-7074 is one of the largest internet based sites that offer lots of information on a variety of mental illnesses.


One thought on “Resources

  1. i’m wondering if there is a member or recommended individual who has a young adult/adult family member or is themselves diagnosed/living with schizoaffective disorder/schizophrenia who might counsel with me on decisions surrounding indepenedent living for my 30 year old son. contact me bob gow,, 828-773-3763. thank you…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s